Formed in 1917 by John Martin Littlejohn, a former student of Andrew Taylor Still, the founder of osteopathy, the UCO has grown from a small school delivering basic professional training to a highly-respected University College attracting students from around the world.
Over the past century the UCO has relocated several times to accommodate its growth, settling in its current location on Borough High Street in London in 1997, and has continuously developed its academic provision to reflect the latest evidence and research and to adapt to osteopathy’s evolving role in the healthcare arena.
Our Chancellor, HRH The Princess Royal, has been an advocate for the UCO since 1984, and continues to attend every graduation ceremony to this day.
Today, our graduates make up approximately 41% of practicing osteopaths in the UK and occupy significant positions within the osteopathic and wider healthcare community, including leadership roles at the General Osteopathic Council, the Institute of Osteopathy and internationally.
In October 2015, after an intensive period of review by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA), we became the only osteopathic education provider in Europe to be granted the power to award our own degrees and apply for University College title, which is protected by law. This then led to a change of name to the University College of Osteopathy in September 2017.
Find out more about our history.