Frequently Asked Questions about the UK's exit from the European Union


Are EU/EEA students still able to study at UK universities following Brexit?

  • The UK Government has confirmed that EU, EEA, and Swiss Nationals commencing a course from 1st August 2021 no longer qualify for student funding and will no longer qualify for home fee status with the following exceptions:
    • EU, EEA and Swiss nationals who were already living in the UK or who arrived by 31 December 2020 will be able to apply for EU Settlement Scheme and will be granted either settled status or pre-settled status.
    • Irish citizens living in the UK and Ireland and otherwise qualifying for funding under the UK fee status regulations.
  • EU, EEA, and Swiss Nationals who do not fall within these categories are still be able to study in the UK but will be subject to the same visa requirements that apply to non-EU students.

How do students apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

  • You can find more information about the EU Settlement Scheme, including your eligibility and how to apply, in the EU Settlement Scheme factsheet, published by HM Government.

Have tuition fees for EU/EEA students studying at UK universities changed because of Brexit?

  • Governments across the UK have confirmed that EU, EEA and Swiss national students starting a course from 2021-22 onwards will be required to pay the overseas rate of fees, unless they fall into one of the two categories listed above.

Do EU/EEA students continue to be eligible to receive to receive loans and grants?

All EU, EEA and Swiss nationals living in the UK, including those who have been granted, are strongly advised to check their status to ensure they are able to continue to study and receive support. For more information, please visit the GOV.UK website or UKCISA website.