Over 140 students became graduates of the University College of Osteopathy (UCO) and collected degree certificates during this year’s graduation ceremony on Thursday 22 November.
The ceremony took place at the Methodist Central Hall, Westminster in central London, where UCO staff and students gathered with friends, family and esteemed guests.
Professor Emeritus David Barrett MA PhD, CQSW, Chairman of the Board welcomed UCO Chancellor HRH The Princess Royal, graduands, award winners and guests. This was followed by a short speech from Charles Hunt, UCO Vice-Chancellor.
During the ceremony, Honorary Fellowships were awarded to Dr Alan Diamond, OBE Hon. DBA MCSI Crown Estates Paving Commissioner Emeritus; to Ms Margaret Wolff, BA (Hons); and to the late Professor Stephen Tyreman, PhD MA DO.
Sadly, Professor Tyreman died before he was able to receive the award, but he had written an eloquent acceptance speech which was read out by Steven Vogel, UCO Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) during the ceremony.
Students then took to the stage to receive their awards from Her Royal Highness in front of proud family and friends.
In addition to the academic awards, the UCO gives out a number of prizes during graduation each year, in recognition of students’ exceptional performance and commitment to their studies. Recipients included:
- Andrea Bain and Nonica Papageorgiou were both awarded Silver Medals for Academic Excellence; as well as the RK Hardy Prize for Best Performance in Dissertation.
- Avishag Bar Zaccay also received the Silver Medal for Academic Excellence; as well as the LM Naidoo Prize for Practical Osteopathic Skills.
- Johannes Fiedler was presented with the Vice-Chancellor’s Prize for Clinical Excellence; and Ben East was awarded the Sven Svenson Bursary.
Other prize winners were as follows:
- Access to HE Diploma Prize – Laura McCrave
- Master of Osteopathy Full-time First-Year Prize – Elliot Nation
- Master of Osteopathy Full-time Second-Year Prize – Felicity Hamilton-Cox
- Master of Osteopathy Full-time Third-Year Prize – Camille Fournier
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time First-Year Prize – Ella Gilder
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time Second-Year Prize – Arkaitz Soria Pereiro
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time Third-Year Prize – Maite Delafin
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time Fourth-Year Prize – Sabrina Arnulf
- Master of Science in Osteopathy (Pre-Registration) First-Year Prize – Pietro Bini
- Master of Science in Osteopathy (Pre-Registration) First-Year Prize – Sergi Casals Gutierrez
- Postgraduate Certificate in Animal Osteopathy Prize – Nicolas White
Silver Medal winner Nonica Papageorgiou gave a short speech on behalf of the student body, then Vice-Chancellor Charles Hunt brought the ceremony to a close and invited Her Royal Highness, graduates and guests to join the post-ceremony reception.
Charles said: “It was a privilege to celebrate with the graduands, families and friends on such a special day in front of HRH The Princess Royal, and also to honour those receiving their well-deserved fellowships. I could hear Professor Tyreman’s voice as his words were read out and we will miss him and his contributions to the UCO dearly.”
We would like to congratulate our new graduates on their achievements and wish them well for the future!
- We have a selection of photographs from graduation which can be downloaded from our Flickr page
- Read M.Ost graduate Natasha Watt’s perspective of the event here
- Were you at the event? Share your graduation photos with us on Twitter @UCOLondon using #UCOgrad
- Inspired to join the UCO? Browse our courses and visit us at one of our Open Days