On Thursday 24 November the Class of 2023 gathered with family, friends, colleagues and UCO staff for this year's graduation ceremony at Bridge Theatre, SE1.
The day was a truly magical event, set in a stunning location next to London's iconic Tower Bridge, and was attended by over 500 guests, including UCO Chancellor Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, who presented the certificates and awards.
In addition to celebrating the accomplishments of the assembled graduates and prizewinners, Her Royal Highness also presented a silver platter to former UCO Vice-Chancellor Charles Hunt, in recognition of his many years leadership and dedicated service to the institution.
During her address to the assembled guests Acting Vice-Chancellor Sharon Potter said:
"Today is a celebration of academic achievement, tenacity, and the pursuit of knowledge. To the graduating class of 2023, I offer my heartfelt congratulations. Your hard work, dedication, and perseverance have brought you to this moment of triumph. We must also recognise and express our deep gratitude to the parents, siblings, partners, and friends who have been steadfast pillars of support throughout your studies.
As you reflect on your academic journey, remember the lessons learned, the challenges overcome, and the friendships forged. These experiences have not only shaped your intellect but have also moulded your character. Cherish the bonds you've formed and the memories you've created during your time at UCO.
You are now part of a proud legacy, joining a network of accomplished osteopaths who have walked this path before you. As you move forward, remember that you carry the torch of UCO’s excellence. Stay connected, remain engaged, and contribute to the vibrant alumni community."
Glynis Fox, President of the Institute of Osteopathy, also offered words of inspiration to graduates as they embark on their next chapter of their careers, and we thank Glynis and all our speakers for being part of such a memorable day.
Last to address the audience was Claire Massey, recipient of the UCO's Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution and Silver Medal for Academic Excellence. During her address she congratulated her fellow graduates on their significant achievements and extended herthanks, on behalf of her peers, to the UCO staff who have been integral to their success. She said of her own journey:
"When I started at the UCO everything fell into place; I felt like I was finally letting the current take me with it after years of swimming upstream in a river I hadn’t even realised I was in. No matter how difficult the last five years has felt at times, it has somehow never felt hard to show up, week after week, month after month and year after year. Because this experience, getting to studying something that I find so fascinating, surrounded by people who I find so inspiring and easy to be around, has allowed me to feel like me in a way I’m not sure I ever had before."
Our thanks to everyone who attended the event and made it such a special day. We wish all our graduates the best of luck with their careers and look forward to you returning and sharing your experiences with us!
The full list of prizewinners is as follows:
- Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution - Claire Massey
- Silver Medal for Academic Excellence - Claire Massey and Emily Horsley
- RK Hardy Prize for Best Dissertation - Claire Massey
- LM Naidoo Prize for Practical Osteopathic Skills - Claire Massey
- Grey Svenson Bursary - Kelly Thomas
- Vice-Chancellors Prize for Clinical Excellence - Arthur Kyeyune
- Postgraduate Certificate in Specialist Paediatric Osteopathic Education Prize - Laura Forrest
- Master of Science in Osteopathy (Pre-Registration) First Year Prize - Anselina Tay
- Master of Science in Osteopathy (Pre-Registration) First Year Prize - India Wilde Coomber
- Master of Osteopathy Full-time Third Year Prize - Kelly Thomas
- Master of Osteopathy Full-time Second Year Prize - Laura Bonar
- Master of Osteopathy Full-time First Year Prize - Nicholas Godshaw Brown
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time Fourth Year Prize - Chelsea Rixson
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time Third Year Prize - Gemma Nicholas
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time Second Year Prize - Iria Lopez Castal
- Master of Osteopathy Part-time First Year Prize - Charlotte Kennedy
- Master of Science in Osteopathic Medicine Distinction Prize - Alessia Banfi
- Master of Science in Osteopathic Medicine Overall Prize - Alessia Banfi
- Master of Science in Osteopathic Medicine Clinic Prize - Elisa Ruffini
- Master of Science in Osteopathic Medicine Research Prize - Eleonora Moscelli
- Access to HE Diploma Prize - Sara Silveira
A small selection of photographs can be viewed below. To view all photographs from this year's ceremony can be viewed on our Flickr page
Inspired to join the UCO? Browse our courses and visit us at one of our Open Days