Clinical Mat-Based Pilates: Foundation Course
Dates: 29 - 30 June 2019
Course leader: Sandie Ennis
Cost: £272 - £340
About the course
A two-day course for osteopaths and other qualified allied health practitioners looking to expand their scope of practice, by adding Pilates rehabilitation exercise to enhance their clinical management of patients with a variety of musculoskeletal problems. It aims to give you an understanding of how to use Pilates exercises to aid your patients developing strength dynamically or assist in the management of chronic problems.
You will learn introductory and beginner level exercises, with graded step by step modifications and adaptions, along with clinical reasoning to justify each exercise. We will also look at relevant research and evidence in spinal and pelvic management. NICE recommends Pilates for the management of back pain and sciatica. Other applications will also be explored.
Summary of Osteopathic Practice Standards (updated) covered in this course
- A) Communication and patient partnership - A2, A5
- B) Knowledge, skills and performance - B1, B2
- C) Safety and quality in practice - C6
- Spaces on this course are limited to ensure a good learning environment for delegates.
- No previous Pilates experience is required.
- Please note this course has practical components which will be on a floor based mat.
- Delegates are advised to wear appropriate clothing.
- For insurance reasons this course is for qualified practitioners only. We regret we are not able to offer places to students.
Key teaching areas
- Introduction to Pilates as a rehabilitation tool
- A review of the epidemiology, causes, consequences and classification of low back pain
- Illness and pain behaviour: the bio-psycho-social model and red flags
- Review of spinal anatomy, spinal movement and planes of movement
- Movement impairments and motor control
- Key exercises, with easily digestible evidence for delegates to share with their patients
- Introduction to the fundamental principles of the Pilates method
- Planning an effective, safe and individually tailored programme
- Managing client programmes and record keeping
- Hints and tips to support client self-management
- Common barriers to exercise adherence
- Marketing and development.
- Gain a practical understanding of how and why Pilates can aid your patients in their recovery.
- Learn the essential key exercises to support your patients during and after their appointment.
- Leave with tools to plan a bespoke six-week programme for individual patients.
About the course leader
Sandie Ennis qualified as an osteopath in 2009, followed by extensive postgraduate studies including cranial and classical osteopathy, SCCO pathway, women’s health and training in paediatrics at the foundation for paediatric osteopathy in London. She currently divides her time between private osteopathic practice, clinical tutoring, teaching individual and small group pilates, devising and delivering specialist education; lecturing, training and CPD workshops.
She completed her UK Pilates training and certification with Body Control Pilates (BCP) in 2000. BCP is one of the leading education providers for Pilates teacher training and the largest professional Pilates organisation outside the USA. She undertook advanced classical Pilates studies at Kane School of Core Integration in New York under the tutelage and mentorship of Kelly Kane, one of the most highly regarded and experienced Pilates educators and physical therapists in the USA. More recently she completed somatic movement education training, which she now incorporates into functional and rehabilitation programmes.
Previously she was a school teacher and arts university lecturer with extensive experience in creating and delivering a broad range of education and training. Since 2000 this has been Pilates training, health education, and rehabilitation.
The UCO regrets that no refunds can be made for cancelled places unless a substitute participant can be found. The UCO cannot guarantee that any course will run. In the event of your course being cancelled, all paid fees and deposits will be refunded in full.