The webinar recording and associated notes are now available to use for free from here.
Development and delivery of free training for osteopaths to provide remote consultations to their patients during COVID19
David Hohenschurz-Schmidt, University College of Osteopathy (UCO) alumnus and sponsored PhD student at Imperial College, has in collaboration with UCO developed a webinar to train osteopaths in remote assessment and management of their patients. The need has arisen as face-to-face appointments become less possible with social distancing requirements.
The training was developed with Dr Jerry Draper-Rodi, Head of Continuing Professional Development and Senior Research Fellow at the UCO, and Andrew Terry, UCO alumnus. The team called on a range of colleagues from osteopathy and other disciplines who kindly supported the project with peer-review as well as content. The UCO CPD team provided additional support.
Academics and practitioners experienced in eHealth or remote consultations generously gave their time to help with this project while also working on contingency plans for the rapidly changing situation.
Dr Jerry Draper-Rodi said:
“It’s been extraordinary to see the level of help and support provided by everyone. In a short time, we have developed a high-quality on-line training module for delivering remote consultations. It’s been fantastic to see everyone pull together.”
The multidisciplinary team of collaborators and peer-review are from a range of different institutions:
- Dr Whitney Scott, Lecturer in Clinical Health Psychology, King's College London & Clinical Psychologist and Research Lead INPUT Pain Management Unit, Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Steven Vogel, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University College of Osteopathy & Editor in Chief of The International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine
- Dr Joe Wherton, Senior Researcher, Interdisciplinary Research in Health Sciences (IRIHS), University of Oxford
- Prof Brian McKinstry, Professor of Primary Care E-Health, Usher Institute of Population Health Sciences and Informatics, Edingburgh
- David Hohenschurz-Schmidt, M.Ost, MSc, PhD Student at Pain Research Group Prof Andrew Rice, Dept of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London
- Dr Jerry Draper-Rodi, Head of CPD & Senior Research Fellow, University College of Osteopathy
- Georgios Christopoulos, Bsc (Hons) Physiotherapy MSc Neuromusculoskeletal Care, MCSP, Lead First Contract Practitioner
- Andrew Terry, M.Ost, Principal Osteopath, AT Health
- Charlie Park, MCSP, HCPC registered Physiotherapist, IPRS Health Triage Team Lead
- Nicky Butler, CSP, HCPC, MSK Physiotherapist, Outpatient Lead, Glasgow
The first webinar took place on Thursday 19 March, just four days after the start of the project, with content that had been informally peer-reviewed and informed by contact with insurers and regulators. Due to high demand, we have now increased available spaces for future events from 100 delegates to 300 delegates. We also plan to make a recording of the session and to make it available online for all practitioners managing patients in a musculoskeletal setting.